Tell us about Your Case
O-1 petitions are for individuals with extraordinary abilities and achievements who are at the very top of their field, industry, or sport. Although the focus of the petition is on proving individual achievement and reputation, O-1 visas must be sponsored by an employer or agent.
The key to a successful O-1 petition is demonstrating sustained acclaim (a pattern of high-level achievement and recognition), in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics. Individuals can qualify if they won a major internationally recognized award (Nobel, Oscar, Pulitzer, etc.), or they can qualify by proving at least 3 criteria, which vary based on the type of work.
Scientists, educators, businesspeople, and athletes/coaches must prove at least 3 of the following:
• Nationally or international prizes or awards
• Membership in associations that require members to have outstanding achievements
• Articles in professional or major media about the individual
• Original contributions of major significance
• Authorship of scholarly articles in professional journals or major media
• Significantly higher pay than others in the field, industry, or sport
• Participation as a judge of the work of others in the field, industry, or sport
• Employment in a critical/essential capacity in distinguished organizations or top companies
Artists (including those in the movie industry) must prove at least 3 of the following:
• Performing in a lead or starring role for a distinguished production or event
• Performing in a lead or starring role for a distinguished organization or establishment
• Acclaimed critical reviews or articles in major publications
• Commercial success in the performing arts
• Testimonials from experts and authorities showing significant recognition in the arts
• Significantly higher pay than others in the field
MT Law successfully represents extraordinary individuals in wide range of scientific disciplines, art, movies, music, education, business, and sports. In addition to working with extraordinary individuals in established and popular areas of work, we regularly obtain approvals for individuals in obscure scientific fields, lesser-known sports, and niche art. We offer a high-level of personalization and take care to describe our clients’ achievements in detail and emphasize their importance through diligent comparative analysis.
If you think you might qualify for O-1 classification, or if you would like to sponsor an employee, please contact us today for a consultation.